Monday, November 1, 2010

First Lesson-Stealing my heart away

Today was my first day of student teaching. I woke up this morning and was all out of sorts.  I thought I would be excited.  I was just plain nervous.  I felt uneasy and a bit panicky. I seriously doubted the sanity of leaving a comfortable routine and a great job, to step into a classroom of first grade students and expect that I could actually teach them, or that they would actually want to learn what I had to teach them!  It would have been so much easier to jump in my car and drive to the office.  I had come all this way and this was all I could muster?! I managed to get myself together and head to the school.  From the moment I entered the school, I was welcomed warmly and made to feel included.  My mentor teacher and I went over the schedule for the day and I learned that I was "first on the schedule".

Written on the white board was a message for me, "Welcome Ms. M!" Soon the kiddo's started streaming in and it only took about 30 seconds for all my fears to melt away.  They were all so excited and exclaimed "There she is! There's Ms. M!.  All the children gathered at the front of the room and sat on the floor and my mentor teacher gave me the floor.  One little girl raised her hand and shyly asked, "Did you bring your guitar?"  My heart melted.  I sang a little song I had written especially for them to introduce myself and then talked about my family and what kinds of things I like to do.  They were a captive little audience. When I asked if anyone had any questions for me nearly every hand shot up.  In reality I didn't need to worry about a thing.  All it took was one look at those little faces so intently hanging on every word, for my fears to melt away.  Whew! It was a great Day One. :)

2 comments:

  1. I had no doubt in my mind that this is what awaited you for your student teaching experience. You have a lot of work ahead and many memories to create. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should record the song and put it up for all of us to hear... That is wonderful it started off so wonderfully. God spoke and you listened. It will be an amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete