Monday, November 29, 2010

Week Five-Student Teaching

Things have been going along quite smoothly and I am loving being in the classroom more and more.  I especially love first grade kiddos! I have been slowly taking over more and more of the day and tomorrow will be my first day of taking the lead on every subject.  I am so lucky to be in the classroom with an amazing teacher who is absolutely a joy to watch.  Teaching is such an art and she is a master artist! My Supervisor from Whitworth will come in and observe me teaching a lesson on "The power of words", based on the trait of "Kindness".  I'm nervous!! As a "hook" for the lesson I plan to squeeze out a tube of toothpaste and attempt to put it all back in the tube using first a spoon and then a toothpick.  I will ask a few students to try and then point out how impossible it is to get all of the toothpaste back into the tube.  I will then explain that words are like that; once we say something hurtful we can"t "take it back".  Sorry will help, but we can't ever completely un-do the hurt. I did this with my own children when they were small and they never forgot it. I hope it works the same with my class!  Three more weeks of teaching and then Christmas break.  I do love having the same schedule as my own children so I can stay home with them and enjoy our break together. :) 
I'll let you know how the lesson goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment